Have Fun with Holiday Shopping
By changing your perspective this holiday, you may be able to set yourself up for a relaxing, stress-free month ahead. Get started on a bright holiday season by asking your Brightside FA for some help with organizing and understanding your finances so that this holiday, you can give yourself the gift of peace of mind. Remember, Brightside is here to make your life easier.
We’ve all felt the impact of Covid-19 and supply chain-related shortages over the past year or so, and this holiday season will be no exception. So to make this season joyous and to help you make this year’s holiday merry and bright, we’ll share a few tips and tricks that our Financial Assistants have found works for all of us who face financial challenges this time of year.
- Shop early and use money-saving apps. Imagine yourself kicking back with a mug of hot chocolate while everyone else is rushing to get their shopping done…and facing empty shelves, crowded stores, and long lines. That should be reason enough to get started, like now (once you’re finished reading this). Shopping online? Take advantage of money-saving apps like Honey, Rakuten and CamelCamelCamel to get the best deals. Your Brightside FA can even help you with comparison shopping so that you get the most for your money – all from the convenience of your home.
- Create a gift list and try to stick to it as much as possible. This won’t take long if you already have an idea of what you want to get everyone on your shopping list. And if you have a lot of people to shop for, agree among yourselves on a spending limit to help control costs for everyone. If you are not sure what you can afford or how to pay for what you’d love to give, reach out to your Brightside Financial Assistant to help you sort this out. Once you have a list in place, you’ll know about how much you have to spend on gifts.
- Consider creative gift-giving ideas that have as much value (or more) as anything you can buy.
- Give a service, teach a skill, or offer your time as a gift. It could be childcare, home chores(for example: washing the car, yardwork, or painting), house cleaning, grocery shopping, a coffee date, baking or cooking meals, or offering to be a workout buddy. If you speak a second language, have a knack for coding, or have a sports skill (like swimming or ping-pong), offer lessons.
- Make priceless and sentimental food or craft gifts. Even if you’re trying to avoid overeating this holiday, special treats can still be nice to give as gifts! Homemade signature cookies, hot chocolate mix, spice blends, sauces, or flavored salts are thoughtful gifts for anyone who could use some food inspiration. You can even give special gifts like a joy journal that reminds us of things that bring joy each day, like a playlist of some of your favorite songs, or an inspiration jar full of regular reminders (written on strips of paper and tied into scrolls) to keep you inspired.
- Relax and enjoy the holiday season. The holidays are supposed to be a time for resting, laughing and enjoying the spirit of the season. Don’t let the stress of holiday shopping ruin your holiday.
And if you find that perfect gift that you MUST give, don’t beat yourself up and don’t stress – Ask your Brightside FA about options to help make it affordable and help you pay it off quickly. Even if you’re not holiday shopping, we are here to help you with any financial need!
Brightside Client Story
Greg and Sandra came to Brightside for help with their finances during the holidays and to plan a home purchase. In the past, they had issues with savings account fees due to their inability to maintain a minimum balance. It was also hard to save, especially with the holiday season fast approaching. Each year, his parents buy expensive gifts for the family but the couple couldn’t do the same. Sandra felt guilty and pressured by his parents. His parents didn’t mind debt, but Greg and Sandra were looking to be financially responsible. They contacted their Brightside Financial Assistant for help in paying off their credit card debt.
How Brightside Helped
Brightside’s Financial Assistant helped Greg and Sandra tackle their financial situation by helping the couple focus on key areas:
Spending: They worked together to set aside money for their Secret Santa gifts, and discussed doing an activity with his parents instead of feeling pressured to buy a big gift.
Budgeting: Their FA went through their income and expenses, helping them find $975 that they can allocate toward paying down their last credit card and starting savings.
Saving: The Brightside FA helped explore options to use their existing bank to automate savings into different accounts that are “out-of-sight” so they’re not tempted to dip into them.
“For once in my life, I feel like I’m in a good place financially. I could not have done it without my Financial Assistant and Brightside.”
-Real Brightside Client
Get Started today to enjoy an easier tomorrow.
Already registered? Contact your Brightside Financial Assistant to help with your specific financial situation. Chat Now.
Did you know?
According to NPD, 85% of consumers will shop online this holiday season.